by Camilla Ridley
Alice pictured here with her mince pies wearing a statement Ridley London metallic Jane maxi dress.
These mince pies are made from scratch, which I do think makes them more delicious than shop bought! The secret ingredient to my mince pies are pineapple in the mincemeat which gives a real tanginess to the flavour, and makes them a little bit different. The key with making your own shortcrust pastry is to handle it as little as possible. Don't overwork it, and you'll end up with a lovely flaky pastry. Again, you can make these in advance, and freeze them, so a batch can keep you supplied with pies throughout the season. They're best served warm, with brandy cream or ice cream!
60g apples chopped
40g pineapple chopped (fresh or tinned)
70g brown sugar
50g vegetable suet
Zest and juice of 1/2 orange
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp mixed spice
225g plain flour
100g chilled butter
25g caster sugar
1 egg yolk
4 tbsp water
Icing sugar to dust
1. Mix all the mincemeat filling ingredients together and leave in the fridge at least over night for the brandy and orange juice to soak into the fruit.
2. For the pastry, rub the flour into the chilled butter until it resembles breadcrumbs, then mix in the sugar and salt.
3. Add the egg yolk and water and mix until it comes together into a dough. Knead lightly until smooth.
4. Wrap with clingfilm and chill in the fridge for at least 30 minutes.
5. Grease the insides of your cupcake tin/pastry tin and dust with flour, removing any excess.
6. Roll out the dough to ½ cm thick, and depending on the size of your tin, cut rounds that are slightly wider than each well and press gently inside (the end of a rolling pin works well to press it in).
7. Fill with the mixture, and with any leftover pastry, cut out star shapes to place on top.
8. Bake at 190C (fan) for 15-18 minutes, until golden brown and the filling is bubbling.
9. Leave to cool before removing from the tin, dust with icing sugar and serve with brandy cream!
10. You’ll have lots of filling leftover for your next batch!
Ridley London's new collection of special Christmas dresses, skirts, tops, jackets and knitwear is available to purchase online and in Ridley's Barnes store. Celebrate your individuality this season with a unique piece that's individually crafted to flatter from your choice of any of our stunning new printed floral or solid silks or cottons. Or call us to arrange a virtual fitting:
Ridley London, 82 Church Road, Barnes, London SW13 0DQ T: 01730 823097